As with any other TV Series or Films, each one fits into its very own genre. The same goes for Anime. Anime itself can be considered a genre of Film and Television but within that it has its own unique genres which can be seen in the Infographic above. An Infographic is where data/knowledge is condensed into a visual form . The audiences that are specific to anime this infographics details are:
- Shojo – aimed towards to young girls
- Shone – Aimed towards to young boys
- Seinen – Aimed towards teenage boys or young men
- Josei – Aimed towards teenage girls or young women
- Kodomo -Aimed towards children
When it comes to anime, these different names for audiences are very important to consider as ones aimed towards older men and women will not be suited for children. It works as a loose rating system for children and parents as well as possible interests. Shojo for example are normally love stories as they aimed towards young girls but that doesn’t mean that young boys or older generations can’t watch and enjoy these anime and manga – the only anime that is restricted are the ones for young men and women (or older) for younger generations where it is not suitable for their age.
As for the sub genres detailed here, they normally fit into the audience categories above.
- Bishojo – This is typically aimed towards Shone and Seinen audiences.
- Bishonen- This is typically aimed towards Shojo and Josei audiences.
- Sentai – This is normally aimed towards Shone and Josei audiences
- Mecha – This is also normally aimed towards Shone and Josei audiences.
- Post-Apocalyptic – The age rating and audiences can range for this depending on its content.
- Maho Shojo – This is normally aimed at Shone and Shojo audiences as Magical animes are normally more innocent however there are ones that are aimed towards older audiences.
- Maho Shonen – This is normally aimed at Shojo and Shone audiences as Magical animes are normally more innocent however there are ones that are aimed towards older audiences.
- Moe – This is normally aimed towards Seinen audiences
- Expertise – These can be aimed at any audience. They can range from sports to cooking in terms of content and can range in age ratings and audiences.
- Lolicon – This can be aimed at either Josei or Seinen.
- Shotacon – This can also be aimed at either Josei or Seinen audiences.
- Harem – This is typically aimed towards Seinen audiences and is very common.
- Reverse Harem – This is typically aimed towards Josei audiences. An example is Ouran High School Host Club.
- Magical Girlfriend – I believe this to be aimed at both Seinen and Josei depending on how the plot develops. If the plot doesn’t contain any graphic imagery it can be aimed at Shojo and Shone audiences as well.
- Ecchi – This is typically aimed towards Seinen audiences.
- Hentai – This is also typically aimed towards Seinen audiences.
- Yuri or Shojo Ai – This is also typically aimed towards Seinen audiences.
- Shounen Ai – This one is aimed normally towards the Josei audiences
- Yaoi – This one is also aimed normally towards the Josei audiences.
While these aren’t every single anime genres and audiences out there, these are the main ones for beginners and even though certain sub-genres are aimed and marketed towards certain audiences does not restrict viewers – anyone can enjoy whatever anime they enjoy as long as it is age appropriate.
Which genre would you most be interested in watching or already watch? Leave a comment and let me know!